St. Mel’s Cathedral, Longford represented one of the largest building projects undertaken by the Roman Catholic Church in Ireland during the 19th Century.
A Brief History: Considered to be one of the finest Classical Style Ecclesiastical buildings in Ireland, it was commissioned by Bishop William O’Higgins. Work commenced in 1840 but was suspended in 1846 at the onset of the Great Famine (1845 – c. 1849), recommencing again in 1853. It was dedicated in 1856 and consecrated in 1893. It is the work of three eminent architects of the nineteenth century: John B. Keane, John Bourke and George C. Ashlin.