Located on Society Street in Ballinasloe, Co. Galway, The MErcy Convent was revitalised into A Library in 2016. ThIS former convent and associated chapel are an important element of the architectural, social and religious heritage of the town of Ballinasloe.
A Brief History: Founded by Catherine McAuley in 1831 in Dublin, the Sisters of Mercy established the Mercy Convent in Ballinasloe in March 1853, which comprised four mid-nineteenth century terraced houses amalgamated to form the convent. In 1864, a chapel was constructed, adjoining the convent to its west with further buildings added to the rear (north) during the twentieth century. The convent closed in 2005 and the site was purchased by Galway County Council.