No.10 Mill Street, Dublin 8 is regarded as one of the most significant 18th century structures situated within the historic liberties area of Dublin.
A Brief History: Mill St was built c.1720, a ‘Dutch Billy’. It was re-modelled in a gothic style in 1891, and its roof and second floor rooms were replaced in the late 19th century. A porch later replaced a pedimented stone door case.
During the 20th century the façade was covered in a thick cement render from basement to second floor. The second floor brickwork was re-pointed in cement mortar. This meant that moisture absorbed in the building could not evaporate out through the impervious cement, and caused the soft Georgian brick to disintegrate. It had for many years been the subject of neglect, vandalism and fire.
Carrig undertook investigative repairs to the façade, and decided to remove the cement renders and mortars. Significant damage to the brickwork was repaired using a red rubber brick replacement and applied plaster repair mortars, following test trials. A raddle coat was also applied to unify and protect the different periods of brickwork.
In addition to the façade work, Carrig carried out various extensive conservative works to the building. New sash windows were installed. The building was extended to the rear and to the west, and clad in contemporary cedar. A new contemporary glass and oak staircase was designed and installed, linking to a salvaged original staircase to the basement. Valuable 17th century timber panelling was salvaged and reinstated in the front room and stairwell sitting among new contemporary panelling that takes its dimensions from the historic.